Saturday, December 9, 2017

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, November 2017

Shroud of Turin News - November 2017
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: October 2017, part #1] [Next: December 2017, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the November 2017 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed linked news article about the Shroud in November as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing them. I have briefly commented on one.

Contents:
Editorial
"The little-known but incredible story of the Holy Face of Manoppello," LifeSiteNews.com, Maike Hickson. [According to Ian Wilson, the Holy Face of Manoppello, cannot be the Veronica stolen from St. Peter's because there are three attested copies of the Veronica [see "1011"], which share crucial markings that must have been on the Veronica, but the Holy Face of Manoppello does not have them[2]. The Vatican's Veronica is the original, albeit only a 10th-11th century copy of the Image of Edessa, but it has so deteriorated that its face is almost unrecognisable. See again "1011."]
"The Truth About the Shroud of Turin," Catholicism Pure & Simple, Michelle Laque Johnson, November 10, 2017.
"Top 10 Mysteries about the Shroud of Turin," Mysterious Monsters, Alisa Su, November 11, 2017.
"DR. BILL STILES: The Shroud of Turin — the burial cloth of Jesus?," New Castle News [Pennsylvania], November 30, 2017.


Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in November up to issue #89, June 1995. [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~75% completed. Issues in that archive are up to #84, August 1994.

News: Death of Alan Whanger on 21 October 2017. I was emailed by Joe Marino on 6 November with a link to Alan Whanger's funeral home memorial. I replied thanking Joe for letting me know and that I would post the news on my blog. Also, as is my policy when a major Shroud person dies, I will publish an obituary of Whanger in a separate post [see 18Dec17].

[Left: Alan Duane Whanger (July 17, 1930 - October 21, 2017)[3].]

Posts: In November I blogged only 3 new posts (latest uppermost): "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Thirteenth century" - 11th; "No image under blood #25: The man on the Shroud: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!" - 5th and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, October 2017" - 4th.

Updates In November there were no significant updates in the background of past posts. Except that, having been through all my posts from 2007 to 2016, saving linked photos in case they become no longer online and replacing those which had gone offline, in November I continued going through my posts from 2017 forwards.

Comments: In November, I responded to a comment under my "No image under blood #25 ..." post: "The nails were obviously put inside Jesus' hands, not on his wrists." I responded:

"First, the wrist is part of the hand ... Second ... the New Testament Greek for `hand' [cheir] included the wrist and in fact the hand, wrist and arm up to the elbow ... Third, one of my New Testament Greek lexicons states of "cheir, `The hand. Originally it meant the whole arm to the end of the fingers' ... Ancient languages, such as New Testament Greek and Aramaic, had a much smaller vocabulary than our modern English ... This meant that there was more ambiguity in words in ancient languages, since fewer words had to cover a wide range of meanings ...".
To further explain what I mean by "off-topic," I posted a comment under my post, "Re: John Calvin on the Shroud #2:
"I just deleted a comment as off-topic because it only briefly mentioned the topic of the above post, `John Calvin on the Shroud,' and then went off at a tangent with little or no relationship to that topic. As I have stated before, MY blog's comments are primarily for commenting on MY posts. They are not a launching pad for individuals to promote THEIR own views unrelated to my post their comment is under. I am starting new `taglines' which help explain what I mean by `offensive,' `substandard' and `off-topic' comments. Below is the start of my`tagline' on `off-topic' comments ... `MY POLICIES. Comments deleted as `off-topic' include those which contain only a brief mention of the topic of my post it is under, but then go off at a tangent with little or no relationship to that topic."
I deleted as offensive one comment. If an anti-authenticist commenter resorts to offensive language then I take that as `body language' that deep down they fear the Shroud is authentic! I am not going to give details because that would be a way of publishing the comment and would no doubt please the commenter.

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: I did not blog any posts about my hacker theory in November.

My book: In November, I realised that I was bogged down in too much detail about Jesus' resurrection, in writing a dot-point outline of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" (see 06Jul17). So I restarted that section and since then I have been making progress.

Pageviews: At midnight on 30 November 2017, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 823,009. This compares with 623,582 (up 199,427 or ~32%) from the same time in November 2016. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "No image under blood #25: The man on the Shroud: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!" Nov 5, 2017 - 129; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified.," Dec 2, 2013 - 122; "Re: John Calvin on the Shroud #2," Jan 11, 2011 - 78; "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear ," Mar 18, 2011 - 68; "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Thirteenth century" Nov 11, 2017 - 68. Again I am mystified at the continued popularity of some of my older posts. In November I thought of the verse:

Isaiah 55:11. "so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."
I was encouraged that that is also true of the Shroud. Since the Shroud is authentic, it is in a sense, "The Fifth Gospel" [Right[4].]:
"If it is authentic, the Holy Shroud is unquestionably the greatest religious relic known to Christianity and one of the most fascinating antiquities known to mankind. If it is authentic, the Shroud can rightfully take its place as `The Fifth Gospel,' for what it reveals of Jesus and his suffering far exceeds the scant Gospel words of the evangelists. If it is authentic, and if no completely satisfactory natural explanation can account for its unusual physical properties, then the Shroud is indeed the most miraculous of Holy Miracles - an enduring, self-made portrait of the man who would be called Savior by millions of Christians throughout the world"[5]
So my posts about the Shroud will accomplish the purposes to which Jesus - the Man on the Shroud, sends them, through me!


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]
2. Wilson, I., 1991, "Holy Faces, Secret Places: The Quest for Jesus' True Likeness," Doubleday: London, p.112. [return]
3. "In Memory of Alan Duane Whanger," Cremation Society of the Carolinas, October 21, 2017. [return]
4. "The Fifth Gospel: The Miracle of the Holy Shroud Mass Market Paperback – 1974 by Thomas Humber," Amazon.com. [return]
5. Humber, T., 1974, "The Fifth Gospel: The Miracle of the Holy Shroud," Pocket Books: New York NY, p.12. [return]

Posted 9 December 2017. Updated 6 November 2023.

No comments: